Thursday, August 4, 2011

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (3 Days Left)

It brings me great sadness to share that the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met is coming to a close this weekend (D-Day August 7, 2011). Why can't it remain as a permanent installation? I think it should stay... but anyway, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for you to get your sweet asses over to see it before it's final goodbye.

I was lucky to have had the opportunity to go, although it was by divine intervention. If it hadn't been for a sudden twist of fate (leaving after an argument with my bf) on that day (Saturday July 3) I would've never ended up where I did (New York City), with the company I was with (my heroes, my dad and my sister), getting roped along on their plan (to visit the Met), I honestly don't think I would've seen this treasure. And by treasure, oh I mean treasure! And granted, I have been a fan of McQueen for years and my heart still aches at the fact that he is no longer with us to grace us with his ethereal masterpieces, but even the non-fans were visibly blown away and at times appalled by the creative ingenuity behind the powerhouse McQueen.

I like [insert thumbs up here]!

Let me just say,  I cried! Each room filled with beauty, vanity, love, hate, light, dark, good and evil... well you get the picture... all this jumble of emotions moved parts of my brain. And as I compartmentalized each design with a time period in his life I choked up a little to see how much of him is still alive. The demons that he wrestled were so overpowering, nestled between periods of calm and acceptance. But in the end, the tormented soul can only take so much and so McQueen chose to end his life. But surprisingly in doing so, it became clear to me that his light however, did not extinguish. As I travelled from room to room I saw history, nature, sex, human civilization, society, and war. I caught a glimpse of the past,  future and the beyond -- it was out of this world. The experience is permanently engraved in my being.

I'll leave you with my favorite piece from the exhibit. Please let me know what you think. Do you have a favorite fashion designer that moves you to tears?

Alexander McQueen (British, 1969–2010)
Dress
VOSS, spring/summer 2001
Red and black ostrich feathers and glass medical slides painted red
Courtesy of Alexander McQueen
Photograph © Sølve Sundsbø / Art + Commerce

No comments:

Post a Comment