Thursday, August 18, 2011

I Roam Around Looking for Good Wine, as the Goats Do


Goats do Roam Red 2010
 I hate to be the heavy... but... it's Autumn. I can tell -  the fragrant scent in the air, the slight fraction of a second shortening of the day, decrease in propensity for nudity, my irritability coupled by my insomnia - it's palpable. I'm ok with that, because I love Autumn. For me, it stimulates growth and renewal. Perhaps it's because my birthday is in September or maybe what I feel is pure nostalgia for the start of something new, like a new school year. Whatever it is, I'm aware of this hyper sensitivity, so it leads to a sense of disquietude. And with this awareness comes wisdom. What am I talking about? I hope this leads somewhere... moving along...

What I look forward to the most this time of year is reintroducing a major staple of my diet that usually lays dormant during the hot summer months. Autumn awakens my insatiable appetite for a full bodied red wine. Sulfates and all! That's why after five straight days of August rain, instead of sulking I've decided to begin celebrating the impending new season. In honor of Autumn, I'm featuring my selection of the best red wine for Autumn that I feel best commemorates this transition. Readers, feast your eyes on this tasty libation! [raise curtains here]

Goats do Roam Red 2010 (http://goatsdoroam.com/) is top shelf material in my book. Goats do Roam is based in the Paarl Region of the Western Cape wine lands in South Africa. The winemakers were inspired by the Saneen goats, which is how they came up with the great name! The art design was actually inspired by an ancient Mesopotamian artifact symbolizing the "importance of balance and composition". And they have proved to have accomplished that with this wine's blends of  Syrah 72%, Cinsaut 13%, Mourvèdre 7%, Carignan 4%, Grenache 3%. It is a smooth wine. I like how dark, aromatic and luscious it is. And I'm such a lush over it! Also pairs well with a warm Vegetable Tofu Soup, using seasonal veggies from the Grower's Market, of course!

I propose a toast to the goats!

xo, Ciao Bella



No comments:

Post a Comment