Monday, August 8, 2011

New Hope/Lambertville - It's a Sister Thang!


I hope you like pictures, because this edition of xo, Ciao Bella will be featuring many photos (totally unprofessional photos I took from my iPhone) of several of my favorite things about the beautiful, artsy sister cities of New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ. The only thing that separates these soul sisters is the Delaware River.

photo.JPG
 This niche of the land is relevant not only for the history (I believe General George Washington passed through this segment of the Delaware River), but also for the rich and fertile landscape that artists crave for creative inspiration. Located right smack in the middle of New York City and Philadelphia, you can imagine the type of eclectic mix of peeps that gather here. This area attracts Artists, Musicians, Actors, Writers, and Holistic Healers... and I'm attracted to all of it! More importantly, this is a halfway point between my family, my boyfriend and I and we frequently reunite here for some fun quality family time.


There are so many things worth mentioning about my favorite place, but I'll just list my favorite things in natural order,  but not by importance:

1) Food first... Then shopping!

We always like to go to Lilly's on the Canal. It drives my boyfriend nuts! He insists we all have OCD, because we always eat there, but I can't help it (it's always perfect). I can't argue with him on that point, because I am thoroughly obsessed with this place. A lovely gourmet restaurant on the Lambertville side, set back a little bit from the main strip (Bridge Street). You can either sit indoors which is comfortable and not snobby like most gourmet restaurants. On a clear non-humid Delaware Valley day you can opt to sit outside by the canal and truly feel like you're in a secret garden. Surrounded by streaming lights, lush vegetation and art you and your guests will dine at ease with the breeze. I don't know what their website reads, but I would describe Lilly's as American style cuisine. However, they do serve french fries Euro style... you know "pommes frites" style, which is in my opinion, the only way and totally Euro. Avec or sans the mayo special sauce, whatever rocks your boat! Their menu items range to satisfy every one's individual palettes. They don't serve a wide array of alcoholic beverages, which I think is cool. They only serve wine, by the bottle, but they're also B.Y.O.B... and there is a liquor store (shout out to Wonderful World of Wines, 8 South Union Street, Lambertville, NJ) conveniently placed around the corner. Bonus: they carry my favorite spirit, Sofia Coppola's, Blanc de Blanc sparkling wine! (This bubbly is worth it's own blog so look for it in future editions of xo, Ciao Bella. It is what I take as an anti-depressant). Anyway, lets just get to the best part, shall we? Dessert. And pictures are worth a thousand words. Check it!

photo.JPG
Seven Layer Chocolate Cake (with a few bites missing).
photo.JPG
The Seven Layer Chocolate Cake Momma (check out the Coconut Cake next to it)



Wow, seven layers... OK, now let's go shopping!

Lambertville and New hope are bustling with lil' businesses.  Every other store front is either an Art Gallery, Antique Shoppe, Fashion Boutique, or Massage place.

2) Our first stop is always Greene Street Consignment Shop, located at 14 Bridge Street, Lambertville, NJ (all sales are final). I love the philosophy behind green shopping and this place is all about recycle, reuse and re wear. OK, I made that last part up, but it's a strong message! Don't get me wrong, you already know I'm OCD so you know I like my things so fresh and so clean-clean, but occasionally I do buy used.  I do like an oldie, but goodie (after I sterilize the life out of it). Sometimes you can find something new at Greene Street like these cute lil' burlap bags from Nepal my sister and I purchased. I'm not convinced they're actually from Nepal, but hey.They have a whole bunch of them in different styles and colors and each one has a unique pattern. The burlap was pretty rough and still stiff, and some of the dyes rubbed off on me, so I'm pretty sure they were unused. Great wine bottle carrier ladies!!! Fit my bottle of Bitch, 2009 just nice and snug.



Nepal Burlap Bag $24.00 (I couldn't rotate the pic so just slightly tilt your head to the left).

3) Another little secret squirrel located in L-ville, somewhat off the beaten path, is A Beautiful Life (ABL), 45 Church Street, Lambertville, NJ (www.abeautifullife.com). ABL is a must see! I heart ABL and I wanna live there. Read on to learn why.

photo.JPG
ABL's new Honey Shampoo and Honey Conditioner
in the store window
ABL has been featured in many beauty magazines, including Nylon and Lucky. Beauty editors LOVE it! I was all hell bent on getting the Mermaid's Kiss perfume cause I wanted to smell like "fresh ocean air, island fruits, lush native flora, & the warmth of... skin in the sun". I was also so ready to stock up, in massive quantities, of "All Nighter" dry hair shampoo, cause I'm sick and tired of washing my hair and "I heart Unicorns Perfume", because I love the smell of Unicorns. I was also all stoked to get the "Pre Game Texturizing Spray". I think it is secretly the elixir of life. I mean really, listen to these ingredients: purified water, aloe vera, himalayan pink salt, dead sea salt, organic honey, argan oil, coconut fragrance, polysorbate-20, grapefruit seed oil -- I die! Bonus: it is Paraben, Propellant, Petrochemical, Alcohol free, and not tested on animals! I've got to get it (so I can have everlasting life)!! Double Bonus: I love the store owner, she's super rad and I want her to be my new BFF.

With all of this said, you can imagine how heavy my heart sank as I skipped all the way down Church Street only to find...

CLOSED!
The door shut, all the lights out and the closed sign flipped, because they close at "5ish". My luck!

In that deflated moment, I had to do a little self soothing, rock in place, stroke my brow a few times and tell myself to keep my chin up and... must... keep... on... moving... to... the next shop!!!

As I continued down the street, I saw it... like a beacon of light in the dark of night. And just like that, I discovered another little gem. Made me almost forget all about the Mermaid's Kiss.

4) Candyrot... isn't that the best name? I think it can best be described as a wonderful cabinet of curiosities. This place is so cool. I know it's a store, but there is so much freakin' art all over the place it felt even more like a gallery. A gallery where you can actually wear the artwork. I was like a little kid in a toy store. I instantly fell in love with this marvelous place and it quickly was added to my list of favorite things. Check it!

I walked in and the first thing I saw was this:


photo.JPG
What a lovely little vignette! I love this place!

photo.JPG
WTF!?!? Is this the cutest thing ever? Or what?




... and check this out... Unicorn Jersey Dresses... in neon colors... yes!!!

  
photo.JPG
Candyrot Unicorn Jersey Dress $35

'Nuff said!!!


5) Over the bridge on the New Hope side, at New Hope Apparel Co. (exchanges only) I found a great "Silence and Noise" floral, racer, zipper back tank top that was so soft, flowy and perfect for August. Check out those roses - - very Flamenco! I just had to have it, but at $28.00 I thought it was too much, but discounted at $19.99 and I scooped it up like it was mine! I can't wait to wear it with jeggings, or even skinny cargos would look pretty sweet with it. Even better, tulip skirt!

Silence & Noise top $19.99 (Front)
Check out the back! I love the red zipper!!!



6) And even I myself need an occasional break from shopping to clear the head. Nature helps with that, so it's always nice to take a stroll along side the canal.

photo.JPG
photo.JPGphoto.JPG











Well, that's all! I hope you've enjoyed my treasure of favorite things from New Hope/Lambertville.

Do you have a town that you love to visit? Where does your family gather? What do you guys do? What do you love about the location?

xo, Ciao Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment